Our mission, values, beliefs and not-for-profit status are key to our ability to provide the consistently high-quality, compassionate care that is the hallmark of The Denver Hospice.
Our Mission is to encircle those facing advanced illness with unprecedented levels of comfort, compassion and expertise.
- Assume Positive Intent
Together, these principles help create a common culture and guide us in making the best decisions.
We believe in more.
- We believe no matter where you are in life’s journey, you deserve to get the most out of every day.
- We believe you should have more opportunities to create memories and moments of joy.
- We believe in less pain and more quality of life.
- We believe your wishes should be heard and respected
We are here to give you more. It’s not just our job, it’s our calling. And we wouldn’t have it any other way. The Denver Hospice. More from life.
Our Not-for-Profit Status
When our founders — Carolyn Jaffe, RN and Peter Van Arsdale, PhD — founded The Denver Hospice in 1978, they wanted it to be a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. Community supporters agreed, believing that a mission-driven organization would be best for delivering the sensitive, high-quality care people deserve at the end of life.
What does being a not-for-profit hospice mean four decades later?
- It helps draw and retain exceptional staff members. Our 300 employees are matched by 300 volunteers and call our not-for-profit status a “deciding factor.”
- The Denver Hospice provides care to all who can benefit from our care regardless of their ability to pay. We provide services for the benefit of our community, not shareholders.
- Decisions on delivery strategies, personnel, new programs, and community outreach are made to enhance care, not to reward shareholders or private owners.
- Our Inpatient Care Center at Lowry, children’s grief services and palliative care services are examples of community-focused initiatives that demonstrate our commitment to meeting community need – not the needs of far-off shareholders or private owners.
- Revenues are reinvested in our community to care for the serious and terminally ill and their families.
- The Denver Hospice provides services before an individual is ready for hospice. We provide needed supportive services that ensure a smooth transition to hospice care when appropriate.